Sharing the recipe for an old- fashioned chocolate cake that is delicious and so fast to make, and perfects to make for your love, for Valentine’s day!
I kept this cake very simple, I just filled and cover the entire cake with a delicious mascarpone whipped cream made with real vanilla seeds.
This cake just melts in your mouth.
For Valentine theme cake, I just added a heart with pink sugar on top, very simple and still cute!
VALENTINES DAYS SIMPLE CHOCOLATE CAKE
Old-fashioned chocolate cake
- 220 grams all-purpose flour
- 285 grams white sugar
- 60 gram unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 150 gram mayonnaise
- 120 ml buttermilk or kefir
- 120 ml hot water or brewed coffee
Whipped mascarpone frosting;
- 500 ml heavy cream, cold
- 250 gram mascarpone, cold
- 100 grams powdered sugar
- Seeds scraped out from one vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon real vanilla powder
- 60 gram white sugar
- a tiny touch of pink food color
- ziplock bag
Directions for the cake layers;
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ (180℃). Grease the bottoms of two 8 x 2-inch round cake pans and line with parchment.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, brewed coffee, buttermilk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- With a whisk combine until smooth and pour into two 8 -inch greased and parchment paper lined baking pans or one 9 inch ( 24 cm) baking pan.
- Bake the cakes in the center of the oven for 30-40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs,
- Let the cake layers cool in their pans on wire racks for 20 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the sides of the cakes and carefully turn them out onto wire racks. Peel off the paper liners and let cool completely.
- The cake layers will keep wrapped tightly in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days.
whipped mascarpone frosting
- In a bowl add mascarpone, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and seeds from one vanilla bean.
- Whisk until the mixture is fluffy.
How to assemble;
- Place one of the cake layers on a cake plate that you are going to serve the cake on.
- Place dollops of frosting on top, using a palette knife, spread the frosting on top of the first layer.
- Place the next cake layer on top and frost the entire cake ( using a palette knife) with the rest of the whipped frosting.
- Place a heart cookie cutter on top in the center of the cake
- For the pink sugar, add sugar into a ziplock bag add a tiny touch of pink food color
- Shake the bag and work the color into the sugar
- Drizzle pink sugar into the cookie cutter, remove the cutter.
- Enjoy the cake.
Have a beautiful weekend you all, love Manuela xoxo
STEP BY STEP PICTURES;