Sharing the recipe for an old- fashioned chocolate cake that is delicious and so fast to make, and perfects to make for your love, for Valentine’s day!
I kept this cake very simple, I just filled and cover the entire cake with a delicious mascarpone whipped cream made with real vanilla seeds.
This cake just melts in your mouth.
For Valentine theme cake, I just added a heart with pink sugar on top, very simple and still cute!
VALENTINES DAYS SIMPLE CHOCOLATE CAKE
Old-fashioned chocolate cake
- 220 grams all-purpose flour
- 285 grams white sugar
- 60 gram unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 150 gram mayonnaise
- 120 ml buttermilk or kefir
- 120 ml hot water or brewed coffee
Whipped mascarpone frosting;
- 500 ml heavy cream, cold
- 250 gram mascarpone, cold
- 100 grams powdered sugar
- Seeds scraped out from one vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon real vanilla powder
- 60 gram white sugar
- a tiny touch of pink food color
- ziplock bag
Directions for the cake layers;
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ (180℃). Grease the bottoms of two 8 x 2-inch round cake pans and line with parchment.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, brewed coffee, buttermilk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- With a whisk combine until smooth and pour into two 8 -inch greased and parchment paper lined baking pans or one 9 inch ( 24 cm) baking pan.
- Bake the cakes in the center of the oven for 30-40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs,
- Let the cake layers cool in their pans on wire racks for 20 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the sides of the cakes and carefully turn them out onto wire racks. Peel off the paper liners and let cool completely.
- The cake layers will keep wrapped tightly in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days.
whipped mascarpone frosting
- In a bowl add mascarpone, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and seeds from one vanilla bean.
- Whisk until the mixture is fluffy.
How to assemble;
- Place one of the cake layers on a cake plate that you are going to serve the cake on.
- Place dollops of frosting on top, using a palette knife, spread the frosting on top of the first layer.
- Place the next cake layer on top and frost the entire cake ( using a palette knife) with the rest of the whipped frosting.
- Place a heart cookie cutter on top in the center of the cake
- For the pink sugar, add sugar into a ziplock bag add a tiny touch of pink food color
- Shake the bag and work the color into the sugar
- Drizzle pink sugar into the cookie cutter, remove the cutter.
- Enjoy the cake.
Have a beautiful weekend you all, love Manuela xoxo
STEP BY STEP PICTURES;
Looks great! I am planning to take it to work. Does the cake need to be stored in a fridge?
Hi Louise, you can if you want to!
Looks delicious! Would like to bring the cake to work for my collegues. Is it necessary to chill the cake?
Thanks, depending how warm it is in the room!Best of luck
Recipe is amazing, I am from India, and this is a egg less chocolate cake recipe. Just wanted to ask , if you have something for egg less vanilla sponge cake recipe.
Hi Sapna; no I dont have that, sorry
Pingback: My Sweet Valentine ~ How To Treat Yourself This Valentine’s Day ♡
The cake looks beautiful, love your pretty blog and pictures. well done
Hi Manuela. I love your recipes. Your cakes simply look delicious. Just a question, one of the ingredients in this recipe is mayonnaise, which sounds completely weird for me. Sorry but it is the first time I read something like this. Is it common in your recipes? Or is it a baking style in that part of the world?
I am from Ecuador, in South America ?
Hope you answer ?
Hi Lisbeth, I know it sounds weird but mayonnaise is made from egg and oil, you are not going to taste it at all. I hope you give it a chance, you might be surprised how moist this cake is.