It´s winter wonderland here in Sweden, perfect time to stay inside and bake something delicious for the weekend.
Last summer I shared a recipe for a delicious no-bake banoffee pie, it was really good, but I do have a weakness for a Norwegian baked gooey almond cake that I have on the blog and use a lot as a base!
So, I made another banoffee pie, this time with a baked crust, that I made from meringues, salted peanuts, and almonds. This new recipe for banoffee pie is by far more delicious than the previous one with a no-bake crust.
This cake is topped with homemade dulce de leche, bananas, whipped cream slightly sweetened and I have added some vanilla ( you can totally skip the vanilla) I bought a Daim candy bar ( you can buy it at Ikea) and chopped it and drizzle it on top.
Looking for a delicious cake for your next party? I can recommend this cake! it´s so incredibly delicious.
Before you start baking this cake, make sure to read the recipes accurately.
Especially the dulce de leche recipe that I have linked below and explained in the recipe!
if you stir the dulce de leche for too long it will get to firm for this cake!
Have fun baking this cake, and enjoy it´s so good!
- 4 egg whites, ( 135 ml) at room temperature
- 2 cups (225 gram) powdered sugar or confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup (125 gram) ground almonds
- 1 cup ( 125 gram) salted peanuts ( coarsely chopped I use a → food processor)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract, optional
- Dulce de leche get the recipe and step by step instructions →here
- 2 bananas ( sliced)
- 1 1/4 cup ( 300 ml) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, optional
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla powder or vanilla bean paste, optional
- 1 Daim candy bar ( available at Ikea), or 2 oz. dark chocolate chopped optional
Before you start with the meringues mixture;
- Wipe a stainless-steel bowl and the whisk attachment, of a standing mixer, with a paper towel moistened with lemon juice.
- This step is done to eliminate any trace of grease, which would hinder the egg whites from stiffening.
Directions for the peanut-almond base;
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C). Line a 9-inch (24 cm) round springform pan with parchment paper, grease the sides and set aside.
- Place the egg whites into the bowl and beat on low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. increase the speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form about 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to high then add the powdered or confectioners’ sugar, one spoonful at a time.
- Beat on medium/high speed until stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy and thick.
- Add the vanilla and mix for a few seconds more.
- With a silicone spatula, fold in the coarsely chopped salted peanuts and ground almonds
- Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan.
- Use your spatula to spread evenly and to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake on the middle rack of oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Do not over bake this cake! (I bake mine 25 for minutes as I love my cake gooey on the inside)
- Let cool completely.
- Make one recipe for dulce de leche get the recipe and step by step instructions →here
- Cool the dulce de leche for 3-4 minutes, then pour it over the cooled peanut-almond crust. ( I use a cake collar on the inside of the springform, this is not necessary.)
- Chill the cake, in the refrigerator at least for 2-3 hours or until the dulce de leche is firm, before serving
- Remove the cake from the fridge, remove the springform, and place the cake on a cake stand.
- Slice the bananas and arrange it on top of the dulce de leche filling
- Pour the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla into a mixing bowl, beat until soft peaks or stiff ( if you are piping the cream on top as I do.
- Spoon the whipped cream over the bananas, or use a piping bag fitted with a large nozzle, and pipe the cream on each sliced banana.
- Crush the Daim candy, ( or chocolate ) and drizzle on top of the whipped cream.
- Slice the cake and enjoy, it´s just heavenly!
Have a beautiful weekend you all, and check back soon, Love Manuela xoxo
Step by step pictures;
→Dulce de leche, get the recipe and step by step pictures →here