Hi you all, happy Wednesday!
One of my favorite candy is smarties, and perfect to use as decoration on a chocolate sheet cake.
Perfect for children party´s and birthdays.
I made a moist chocolate sheet cake, topped it with a chocolate glaze and smarties, I´m not sure if smarties are something that you can find in the states or in other country´s but it is very similar to m&m´s candy.
Before you bake this cake, make sure to read my small notes below, for the perfect moist chocolate cake.
Chocolate Sheet Cake with smarties
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon (250 ml brewed coffee or instant coffee ) ( or → use just water )
- 15 tablespoons ( 200 gram) butter
- 1/3 cup (40 gram ) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (150 gram ) crème fraîche or→ sour cream or →kefir or →yogurt natural
- 1 1/4 cup (280 gram) sugar
- 2 egg
- 2 1/2 cups (270 gram) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 5 tablespoon (75gram) unsalted butter
- 1/8 cup ( 30 ml) brewed coffee or hot water
- 1-2 tablespoon cocoa powder ( I use unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract or vanilla sugar ( optional)
- 2 1/4 cups ( 250 gram) powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 338F°(170C°).
- Grease and line 1/2 sheet cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add the sugar, butter ( diced) brewed coffee ( or water) and cocoa.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, warm until the butter and sugar are totally dissolved. (stir at times if needed)
- Allow the mixture too cool slightly, then add in the crème fraîche and quickly combine.
- Whisk in one egg at the time.
- Sift in the flour mixture, and very carefully combine the mixture together.
- Make sure to not over-blend after you added the flour mixture as it will result in a dry cake!
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spread it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is in the oven make the chocolate glaze; as you need to pour the glaze over the cake when it comes out of the oven.
- Melt the butter, add powdered sugar, brewed coffee, vanilla, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt, combine with a whisk.
- Take the cake out of the oven, right away pour the chocolate glaze over the warm cake, try to pour it all over the surface, so you won´t have to do much spreading.
- Just before the glaze sets add the smarties on top or any other candy you like.
- Keep the cake covered with plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
- To experience the moistest chocolate sheet cake the way I do, make sure you don’t blend the mixture too much after you added the flour mixture. It makes all the difference. Instead of stirring the flour mixture, I just poke the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, just poke with your whisk and add the end, stir with your spatula to make sure there are no lumps of flour left in the mixture.
- Because this cake contains butter, it is best to keep the cake covered at room temp, you can place it in the fridge but it will harden a bit because of the butter. ( still delicious just not as moist)
Have a beautiful day you all, Sweet hugs from Manuela xoxo
Step by step;