Happy Monday you all;
Today I made the most delicious sweet rolls, they are Japanese milk bread rolls.
the are made with a starter that is made in minutes called tangzhong! It makes the buns so soft and airy like a pillow, and the tangzhong method also keep these sweet rolls soft for at least 3 days.
I was looking on the web to sears for the softest sweet rolls because I wanted to make sweet rolls dutch style filled with vanilla cream, ( in the Netherlands we call it for pudding broodje) the sweet rolls I remember they used for these buns in the Netherlands were always so super soft! I found the recipe for the sweet rolls →here.
These buns and the way they are made are definitely the best buns ever, I will definitely use this method by making a starter next time! what a difference that makes in texture and softness.
I hope you try these soft buns, and oh try these dutch style vanilla buns; In the Netherlands, we serve it with just vanilla cream; I added some whipped cream for more fluffy vanilla cream, dust the top with a powdered sugar drizzle, so good!
JAPANESE MILK BREAD ROLLS (recipe – adapted from →here) p.s I doubled the original recipe
- 1/4 cup ( 30 gram ) bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons ( 170 gram ) whole milk
- 5 cups ( 600 grams) Bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons ( 35 grams )Dry Milk
- 1/2 cup ( 115 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast or 25-grams fresh yeast
- 1 cup (225 gram) whole milk, cold
- 2 large egg
- 1/2 cup ( 115 gram) melted unsalted butter
Dutch style Vanilla buns;
- Japanese milk bread rolls ( see recipe above)
- Vanilla pastry cream, get the recipe →here
- 1/2 cup ( 125 ml) heavy cream, cold ( whipped), optional
- Powdered sugar for drizzle
Instructions for the tangzhong;
- To make the tangzhong: Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan, and whisk until no lumps remain.
- Place the saucepan over low heat, and cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until thick and the whisk leaves lines on the bottom of the pan, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the tangzhong to a small mixing bowl or measuring cup and let it cool to room temperature.
Directions how to make the dough;
- To make the dough: Combine the tangzhong with the remaining dough ingredients, ( if using fresh yeast just crumble the yeast into the mixing bowl) then mix/knead with the hook attachments of your mixer, on medium speed until a smooth, elastic dough forms, about 20 minutes, after 20 minutes run the mixer for 3-5 minutes on the highest setting.
- Work the dough, on your kitchen counter, shape the dough into a ball, and let it rest in a lightly greased covered bowl for about 60 to 90 minutes, or until puffy but not necessarily doubled in bulk.
- Gently deflate the dough, work the dough and divide it into 20 equal pieces,( 60 gram each piece) and shape each piece into a ball.
- Place the rolls on a baking sheet covered with a silicone matt or parchment paper.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let the rolls rest for 40 to 50 minutes, until puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush the rolls with milk, and place the baking sheet on the lowest rack in the oven, I don’t use the confectionary setting on these buns, because I don’t want them to be so puffed up, but I have the heat on both bottom and top without the fan on. But you can do either way, with the fan or without it
- Bake for about 20 -25 minutes, ( keep an eye on it at the end) until golden brown on top; how to see if the rolls are done after 20 minutes, is pick up the sweet rolls that is in the middle and see if the bottom got some color, if not continue baking for 5 minutes more.
- Remove the rolls from the oven.
- Allow them to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
- Yield: 20 rolls.
- These sweet rolls are perfect to serve with homemade jam, or Nutella or just enjoy these like they are.
- These buns are super soft, I honestly can say these are the best buns I have ever eaten! so good!!
Directions how to make the Dutch style vanilla buns;
- Make vanilla/pastry cream, get the recipe for the →vanilla/pastry cream →here.
- Place the vanilla in the fridge right away until completely cooled.
- Just before serving the sweet rolls, Place the cold pastry cream into a medium bowl, give it a whisk so it loosens up, in the Netherlands we fill it with just pastry cream, I like to add whipped cream to it to loosen it more up, if you like that as well, continue to read the instructions below.
- Whip up heavy cream, make sure it is cold straight from the fridge, whip it up until it is fluffy.
- Combine it carefully with the pastry cream, don’t overwork it.
- Slice open the sweet roll on top, but not all the way through.
- Place the vanilla cream into a pastry bag, fitted with a large nozzle and pipe the middle of each bun with the vanilla cream.
- Or just scoop with a spoon in the middle of each sweet roll.
- Just before serving, dust the top with powdered sugar.
- Enjoy, it is so good.
Have a wonderful day you all, sweet hugs from me to you, Love Manuela xoxo
Tangzhong starter, step by step pictures;
Instructions how to make the dough;
Dutch Style Vanilla buns;