Hi you all, it has been a while; I hope you all are having good and sunny day´s.
The weather in Scandinavia is just beautiful we have had sun for weeks now!
Norway´s national day, May 17 is coming up and we always try to make cakes and sweets in the colors of the Norwegian flag. I share this same recipe on my →Norwegian blog today but made the meringues in the colors of the Norwegian flag using red, blue and white.
Today´s recipe I´m using the French method which is whipping the egg whites until stiff peaks and then add in the sugar, and then use powdered sugar to blend it just in add the end, this method gives you superwhite meringues after baking.
The key to great meringues is to use a scale and weigh the egg whites, and always make sure your bowl and whisk are clean and use room temp egg whites as they whip up better.
And when it comes to mixing the meringues batter, keep it on medium speed and not high speed.
These meringues keep their beautiful color after they are baked and it takes around 1 hour to bake these off.
Make sure you use as little as possible food color, you only need about a drop to make stripes!
Have fun baking
Pastel Meringues – french method
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature ( it is best to use a scale and weigh the egg whites it needs to be 90 grams)
- 1/3 cup (75 gram) superfine sugar
- 2/3 cup (75 gram) icing or powdered sugar
- Decorating tip Ateco #849 or any tip of your choice
- Food color of your choice ( I use pink and turquoise color from the brand artisan)
- Preheat the oven to 212F ( 100 C) and line one baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat and set aside
- Wipe your bowl and whisk clean with a paper towel dampened with a little lemon juice to eliminate any trace of grease.
- Put the egg whites into the bowl and beat on medium speed until stiff peaks.
- Add the superfine sugar one spoonful at a time.
- Continue beating on →medium speed until very stiff peaks forms and the meringues is glossy and thick. ( about 2-3 minutes)
- Stop the mixer, sift in the powdered sugar and combine with a spatula until the meringues is glossy.
- Fit a large pastry bag with a large nozzle ( I use Ateco #849 nozzle)
- For stripes, I use two colors, Pink and turquoise, You can turn a piping bag inside out and brush on stripes of food coloring, or if you have an icing bag/nozzle stand like me just brush stripes on the inside of the bag.
- Fill the bag with meringue mixture and pipe little kisses.
- Bake in the middle of the oven ( I use the confectionary setting) for 1-2 hours
- I baked these meringues for 1 hour and 15 minutes and they came out crispy, Yesterday I made meringues as well and baked it for only one hour and they came out crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. It is all about how large you pipe your meringues, just make sure to not open your oven in the first hour.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool completely.
- The meringues will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Have a beautiful week you all, Love Manuela xox
Step by step;