Hi sweet people, I hope you are coping with everything that is going on around the world. All we can do is pray and have hope for better days ahead. Sending you all the biggest warmth felt hugs.
Easter might not feel the same this year for a lot of people, but I know that baking makes my family and kids so happy.
That´s why I love sharing this easy and delicious recipe with you all today to you might want to bake for your precious family and kids this Easter.
A ritz Meringue cake, that is made with salted cheese crackers and whipped meringues, the cake is topped with a whipped milk chocolate cream.
I decorated the top with some colorful Easter chocolate Candy.
The combination of sweet and the salted cheese crackers and the whipped milk chocolate cream on top makes for a delicious cake that both young and old will love. I think this cake would be super festive for Easter.
The cake is not too sweet, the cheese crackers inside the meringues make for a crunchy bite each time and the combination of the salty cheese crackers with the whipped meringue and the chocolate cream is so delicious.
The whipped milk chocolate cream needs to rest in the fridge for 6 hours.
So plan accordingly when making this cake. If you are not a fan of milk chocolate you can use dark chocolate instead.
Ritz Meringue Cake
- 4 egg whites,(135 gram) at room temperature
- a pinch of cream of tartar ( optional)
- 235 gram powdered sugar or confectioners’ sugar
- 200 gram cheese crackers like ritz or cheez-it ( roughly chopped )
Whipped Milk Chocolate Cream
- 400 gram heavy cream ( 36 to 40 %)
- 200 gram milk chocolate, chopped ( or use dark chocolate)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- Easter Candy
Direction for the Ritz meringue cake
- Roughly chop opp your cheese cracker, I use a knife to do this. Set aside for now.
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C). Grease a small baking sheet and line it with parchment paper.
- Wipe a stainless-steel bowl and the whisk attachment, of a standing mixer, with a paper towel moistened with lemon juice.
- This step is done to eliminate any trace of grease, which would hinder the egg whites from stiffening.
- Place the egg whites into the bowl and beat on low speed until foamy, about 30 seconds. increase the speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form about 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to high then add the powdered or confectioners’ sugar, one spoonful at a time.
- Beat on medium/high speed until stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy and thick. about 2- 3 minutes.
- With a silicone spatula, fold in the roughly chopped ritz crackers/ cheez-it crackers.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking sheet.
- Use your spatula to spread evenly and to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 25 minutes.
- Do not over bake this cake!
- Let cool completely.
Directions for the whipped Milk chocolate Cream
- This step needs to be done at least 6 hours before you make the cake.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk chocolate, sea salt, espresso powder, and heavy cream.
- Place the saucepan over low -medium heat, stir with a wooden spoon in the cream until all of the chocolate pieces are completely melted. ( do not boil the cream mixture)
- Strain the milk chocolate cream mixture into a large bowl.
- Cover directly with plastic wrap right on top touching the surface of the cream. this will prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate the milk chocolate cream overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Take the cold milk chocolate mixture out of the fridge, discard the plastic wrap.
- Using an electric beater whip on medium-low speed until fluffy about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add large dollops of the whipped milk chocolate cream onto the cooled ritz meringue cake, use a spoon or a spatula to spread the frosting onto the cake.
- Decorate the cake with Easter candy or sprinkles or leave it like it is.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Have a beautiful weekend you all make the best of it, Love Manuela xoxo
Step by step for the Whipped Milk Chocolate Cream
Step by step for the meringue cake
That looks AMAZING! I was planning on bakning it for easter. How big is your baking tray?
Hi Gabrielle it is 20 x 25 cm but you can also use a round baking pan that is 23 cm . Happy Easter