I love making Brioche for breakfast on the weekend, together with homemade jam and mascarpone it is so delicious.
I love brioche so much, and whenever I bake these, I make the Brioche dough double so it will be enough for the weekend.
It´s so much fun to make these; I roll each length in vanilla sugar ( homemade vanilla sugar)
It gives a caramelized taste to the top after it is baked.
Watch the video on how to make these below.
Braided Brioche Loaves ( yield 2 loaves depending on the size of your pans)
- 750 GRAM ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 3 TEASPOON DRY YEAST
- 100 GRAM SUGAR
- 1 1/2 TEASPOON SALT
- 160 ML COLD WATER OR COLD MILK
- 5 LARGE EGGS
- 300 GRAM UNSALTED BUTTER AT ROOM TEMPERATURE, CUT INTO PIECES.
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA BEAN PASTE, OR VANILLA SUGAR OPTIONAL
HOMEMADE VANILLA SUGAR
- 100 GRAM SUGAR
- 1/4 VANILLA BEAN ( SCRAPE OUT THE SEEDS)
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a dough hook attachment, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, eggs, and cold water.
- Mix the ingredients on low speed for 5 minutes, it will be very stiff.
- In the meantime, cut the butter into pieces.
- Add a few pieces of butter into the flour mixture at a time, and mix this for 10 minutes more.
- Once the butter is completely incorporated into the dough, mix on medium speed for another 15 minutes.
- to check if the dough is ready, turn the mixer on full speed, you should hear it make slap-slap sounds as it hits the side of the bowl, this means it is ready.
- You also should be able to gather it all together and pick it up all as one piece.
- Work the dough a little bit, with your beautiful hands, until it does not stick to your hands.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces, wrap each piece loosely in plastic wrap, as it will puff when proof.
- Let the dough proof in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day;
- Take the cold brioche dough out of the fridge, weigh the dough and divide the dough into 4 or 5 equal pieces.
- Roll each of the dough into the same length.
- I like to roll each length of dough into homemade vanilla sugar ( just combine sugar with vanilla seeds) ( this is optional)
- Want to learn how to make Braided Brioche, watch the video here or click the video above.
- Place the braided dough into the greased pans of your choice, cover lightly, and let rise for 3-4 hours until it´s doubled and looks very puffy when you poke at the dough when you touch it should feel soft, pillowy.
- 30 minutes before the loaves are ready to bake, heat the oven to 175 / 350 F
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the tops and sides are completely golden brown.
- Remove the loaves from the oven and let cool in the pans for 30 minutes.
- Remove the loaves from the pans and enjoy.
- I love to serve brioche with mascarpone and homemade jam, and when it is a few days old I often make french toast.
- This bread keeps well for 2-3 days well.wrapped at room temperature.