Hi you all, hope you had an amazing weekend.?
Sharing a recipe today of a classic Norwegian dessert, called Dronning Maud Fromasj ( translated into English Queen Maud Fromasj.
This dessert normally is made in just dessert glasses without the cake, but I thought it was nice to make a cake version of this classic desserts.
the sponge cake is super soft and moist, it is made with buttermilk, and is topped with the fromasj, in between there is grated dark chocolate and on top as well. It´s so delicious I hope you try it sometime.
Queen Maud Cake
Vanilla cake ( 8-inch – 20 cm)
- 2 large eggs or 3 medium eggs
- 3/8 cup ( 85 gram) sugar
- 2/3 cup ( 75 gram ) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk or yogurt natural
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
Queen Maud fromasj
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 1 tsp.( 125 gram) sugar
- Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
- 2 1/3 cups ( 600 ml) heavy cream
- 9 gelatin leaves
- 1/4 cup ( 50 ml) hot water
- 8 oz. ( 200 gram)finely grated dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup ( 50 ml) Port wine, optional
Directions for the cake;
- Preheat oven to 350F° (180C°).
- Grease an 8-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- in a little bowl, combine oil, buttermilk, and vanilla, and set aside for now.
- In a large bowl or in a stand mixer, beat eggs and sugar for 5-7 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stop the mixer and sift in half of the flour mixture. Use a large spatula to stir and fold in the flour mixture until most of the flour is no longer visible.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and the oil and buttermilk mixture, carefully fold in the mixture make sure you maintain the batter’s volume while folding. It is important not to deflate the batter.
- Pour batter into your prepared pan
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes or until a wooden stick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Let the cake cool upside down ( in the pan) on a wire rack until completely cool.
- Use a knife loosen the side of the cakes and carefully turn the cake out onto a wire rack.
Directions for Queen Maud fromasj.
- Place the gelatin leaves in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Whip up the heavy cream, and place into the refrigerator.
- finely, grate dark chocolate and set aside for now.
- In a standing mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, and seeds scraped out of one vanilla bean for 8 minutes.
- Take the soft gelatin out from the cold water, and dissolve it into a saucepan with 1/4 cup of hot water. let cool for 1-2 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, turn the mixer to the lowest settings, pour the gelatin slowly into the whipped egg mixture. Mix for 1-2 minutes more.
- Stop the mixer, scrape the sides of the bowl, add the whipped cream and with a spatula carefully combine.
- if you are using port wine, you can add it after you added the whipped cream. ( i did not use it in this recipe, but the original recipe fro Queen Maud Fromasj says so.
- Place your cooled cake layer into a springform, that is the same size as your cake.
- I place a cake collar inside the cake ring, just because the fromasj is a bit higher than my 8-inch springform.
- Pour 1/2 of the Fromasj mixture over the cake layer, add 1/2 of the finely grated chocolate on top, add the rest of the fromasj mixture and the rest of the grated chocolate on top.
- Place in the fridge overnight or for at least 5 hours.
- Just before serving, remove the cake from the springform and carefully place it on your cake stand.
- Serve the cake and enjoy.
Have a wonderful day you all, love Manuela xo
Step by step;
Queen Maud fromasj;